.

Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Bibingkang Malagkit ( Sticky Rice Cake )






Bibingkang Malagkit,commonly known as Biko, is a sticky rice cake cooked in sweetened coconut milk and usually topped with caramelized sugar and coconut cream. In the Philippines, this is available in the market, where they usually enjoy this delicacy during breakfast and merienda time. I had cooked this recipe several times, but I never get a habit of taking pictures. It is only recently that I have a foodblog that got me into documenting my recipes. The photo you will see here is not the look I was aiming for when I cooked this. I ran out of dark brown sugar so I had used the light brown sugar ergo my rice cake came out light in color instead of golden brown color. But, it still taste good. If you want good results in cooking, never compromise your ingredients. That is the lesson I learned in making this Rice Cake. Here's my own twist of this popular Philippines delicacy.

Ingredients:

2 cups of glutinous rice or sticky rice
4 cups of coconut milk
2 cups dark brown sugar
1-½ cups water
4 tablespoon of butter
½ teaspoon of salt

Cooking Directions:
  • Wash glutinous rice 2-3 times, put in a rice cooker. Add the water and cook until rice is ready.
  • In a wok or heavy bottom pan, bring 3 cups of coconut milk to boil, add 1-½ cups brown sugar and butter, mix thoroughly. Keep on stirring until the mixture is reduce to half and thick.
  • Add the cooked rice on to the coconut mixture, mix well. Make sure the rice is well incorporated with the coconut mixture. Reduce your heat to low and continue to cook until the coconut mixture is absorbed by the rice.
  • Remove sticky rice from wok, place on a prepared baking tray or Pyrex, flatten and set aside.
  • Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Bake the Sticky Rice Cake for 15 minutes.
  • In a small wok or saucepan, caramelized remaining sugar and coconut milk. Cook until thick.
  • Pour caramelized mixture on top of the sticky rice cake and bake until golden crust is formed.
  • Let it cool before serving. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Asian Cooking and More... Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template