Afritada is an authentic Filipino recipe which can be made in two different versions - Chicken Afritada or Pork Afritada. This Filipino dish is prepared with an interesting blend of ingredients, from soy sauce, tomato sauce and some vegetables. It is a Chicken stew that we undoubtedly adapted from Spanish cuisine. The Spanish have a similar version of this dish called Pollo Guisado. Here is my version of Chicken Afritada - a very easy to make dish , very tasty and economical.
Chicken Afritada Recipe:
2-3 lbs of chicken, cut into pieces
2 pieces of potatoes,peeled and halved
2 pieces of carrots, peeled and cut into wedges
3 large pieces of fresh tomato ( you can use tomato sauce)
1 medium onions, diced
1 head garlic, minced
1 green and red bell pepper, sliced into strips
2 cups of chicken broth
2 tablespoon of tomato paste
2 tablespoon of fish sauce
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
3 tablespoon of cooking oil
½ cup of frozen green peas
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat pan, add 2 tablespoon of cooking oil and brown the chicken. Set aside.
- In another pan, heat up 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Sauté the onions and garlic. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until tomatoes has caramelized and mushy. Add the tomato paste and fish sauce. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the bell pepper, carrots and potatoes. Stir fry for 1 minute before adding the browned chicken.
- Add the chicken broth and season with soy sauce. Continue to simmer on low heat until meat and veggies are fork tender. Add the frozen peas. Cook for 1 more minute. Adjust the seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with white steam rice. Enjoy!